Safety precautions for gas equipment
In light of recent carbon monoxide accidents from compact open water boilers and mesh stoves, Japan’s Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry and gas companies have released pamphlets alerting households to the potential dangers. The same types of accidents have also been caused by commercial gas equipment, so we have provided a separate pamphlet to caution users. Please take some time to read this pamphlet. Supplementary information on carbon monoxide poisoning is also provided below. Please read this information also.
Characteristics of carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide is a gas that weighs about the same as air (specific gravity: 0.967). It is colorless, odorless and tasteless, making it difficult to identify. The human body requires oxygen to live. Breathing transports oxygen to a substance that carries oxygen in the bloodstream known as hemoglobin. Hemoglobin forms a strong bond to carbon monoxide, with a strength thought to be between 200 and 300 times the strength of the bond to oxygen. As a result, even a trace amount of carbon monoxide inhaled by the body decreases the amount of oxygen transported to the hemoglobin, causing oxygen deficiency, leading to unconsciousness and ultimately to death if the condition continues.
|Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms|
|Carbon monoxide concentration in air||Inhalation time and poisoning symptoms|
|0.02％||2 to 3 hours: Mild headache at front of head|
|0.04％||1 to 2 hours: Headache at front of head, nausea; 2.5 to 3.5 hours: Headache at back of head|
|0.08％||45 minutes: Headache, dizziness, nausea, convulsions; 2 hours: Loss of consciousness|
|0.16％||20 minutes: Headache, dizziness, nausea; 2 hours: death|
|0.32％||5 to 10 minutes: Headache, dizziness; 30 minutes: Death|
|0.64％||1 to 2 minutes: Headache, dizziness; 15 to 30 minutes: Death|
|1.28％||1 to 3 minutes: Death|
The symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning are said to resemble the common cold. If you feel symptoms such as a loss of energy or headache when using gas equipment, or if you see stars or smell an unpleasant odor, incomplete combustion of gas equipment may be the cause. In this case, discontinuing use of the gas equipment and having it inspected is recommended.